Monday, July 21, 2008
/12:14 am
Hsinghai's concert last Sunday was a remarkable one. Aside from the fact that I was pulled in at the last minute with only 2 practices before the actual day, I must say that the orchestra seems to be in a much better state than I recall it to be. I totally enjoyed the pieces which dizi maestro Li Zhen played. It was definitely a concert worth watching, but sadly not many people thought so.
And of course, NYCO concert on friday was just great. I loved all the items that featured yqp (ie, the western and chinese percussion items, and tai yang!). The 1st Erhu Rhapsody was good too. The soloist was good in her bowing and control - very smooth with no edges. Most of the pieces were a commendable effort. It could have been better (of course), but while remembering that this is ultimately a secondary school orchestra, what they have done was already impressive. I would have like to see/hear more emotion and depth, but that's probably asking for too much. Especially when you consider than 5 concerts ago, the most difficult song this orchestra played was 难忘的泼水节.
And on the topic of concerts, the EVCO one (called Fire) is coming up on 16th August, 7.30 at Esplanade Concert Hall. It features the zhong ruan, pipa, erhu prominantly. If you happen to be free, do come and watch!
0 had their say | have yours?
Monday, July 21, 2008
/12:14 am
Hsinghai's concert last Sunday was a remarkable one. Aside from the fact that I was pulled in at the last minute with only 2 practices before the actual day, I must say that the orchestra seems to be in a much better state than I recall it to be. I totally enjoyed the pieces which dizi maestro Li Zhen played. It was definitely a concert worth watching, but sadly not many people thought so.
And of course, NYCO concert on friday was just great. I loved all the items that featured yqp (ie, the western and chinese percussion items, and tai yang!). The 1st Erhu Rhapsody was good too. The soloist was good in her bowing and control - very smooth with no edges. Most of the pieces were a commendable effort. It could have been better (of course), but while remembering that this is ultimately a secondary school orchestra, what they have done was already impressive. I would have like to see/hear more emotion and depth, but that's probably asking for too much. Especially when you consider than 5 concerts ago, the most difficult song this orchestra played was 难忘的泼水节.
And on the topic of concerts, the EVCO one (called Fire) is coming up on 16th August, 7.30 at Esplanade Concert Hall. It features the zhong ruan, pipa, erhu prominantly. If you happen to be free, do come and watch!
0 had their say | have yours?