journal archives tagboard affiliates
Sunday, December 02, 2007
/10:48 pm

About two or three years back, I told friends that I wanted to get married when I was 21. Part of the reason was to get out of the house fast, and partially because I was worried about a relationship that would slowly fizzle out and die a slow death if we had to wait another decade to get married. Unfortunately, 2007 is almost over and it doesn't look like my wishes are going to come through anytime soon, partially due to a problem of finances. It's not just the fact that we're not working, but also because my savings have partially been loaned to my parents *cries*, and the realities of the world are starting to set in. In any case, everything begins with money.

And the starting point of all these was once again another minor argument with my dad over.. what else, money. I've come to figure out that while money doesn't buy you happiness, money is the root of much unhappiness. Everyone says being happy is how you prioritise what's important - put leisure over work sometimes, take a breather, slow down and look around, find non-monetary satisfaction. But to be real, how many of us can do that without having our basic needs taken care of? And how about other issues? The maintanence of our sanity because we don't have enough to let my grandmother stay in an old folks home (well, maybe I should comment on the social stigma associated with that, but some other time). And how about all the medical bills when one comes down with an illness (every member of my family has been through a major surgery, be it spinal, heart or o&g related)? And when everyone is too engrossed in thinking of how to make more money to make ends meet, who really talks to each other?

Yes, I know to count my blessings that I do have food on the table everyday and a roof over my head. But I'm just thinking about how this world has become, and how it will become in future, with rising prices and cost of living being reported in the newspapers very frequently these days.

0 had their say | have yours?