Friday, July 27, 2007
/1:02 am
The past few days have been insane. I think the fact that I head to bed at 2am for 3 consecutive nights (tonight would be the fourth if I don't scurry off to bed soon) is indicative of just how crazy it has been. The days zoom past so fast, amidst spending time with him, learning to drive, meeting up with people, attempting to do projects, minimal practicing (since I am hardly at home anyway).
And the nights - that's what's truly amazing. Practice all the way till 10pm, but it's totally worth it. The pieces are taking shape, taking on some semblance of music. The change of conductor has injected a certain life into the orchestra. I enjoy listening to the things he has to say, to observe how he controls everything within his hands, how he focuses on certain aspects and resolves problems. I still remember, some 8 years ago, a disgruntled sectionmate asked me "What's the use of a conductor?". Her point being that an orchestra could run on autopilot, each instrument able to come in at the appropriate timing so long as everyone was familiar enough with the piece. The experiences in the past few days have further highlighted that this is not the case, and this can
never be the case when we speak of music. Each time we play a piece, it turns out differently, borne out by our emotions then.
I think the concert will be good. Of course, I'm currently in a stage whereby I'm too nervous most of the time to play properly and I've been screwing up my solos. But aside from that, yes, it will be good.
Labels: evco, Music.
0 had their say | have yours?
Friday, July 27, 2007
/1:02 am
The past few days have been insane. I think the fact that I head to bed at 2am for 3 consecutive nights (tonight would be the fourth if I don't scurry off to bed soon) is indicative of just how crazy it has been. The days zoom past so fast, amidst spending time with him, learning to drive, meeting up with people, attempting to do projects, minimal practicing (since I am hardly at home anyway).
And the nights - that's what's truly amazing. Practice all the way till 10pm, but it's totally worth it. The pieces are taking shape, taking on some semblance of music. The change of conductor has injected a certain life into the orchestra. I enjoy listening to the things he has to say, to observe how he controls everything within his hands, how he focuses on certain aspects and resolves problems. I still remember, some 8 years ago, a disgruntled sectionmate asked me "What's the use of a conductor?". Her point being that an orchestra could run on autopilot, each instrument able to come in at the appropriate timing so long as everyone was familiar enough with the piece. The experiences in the past few days have further highlighted that this is not the case, and this can
never be the case when we speak of music. Each time we play a piece, it turns out differently, borne out by our emotions then.
I think the concert will be good. Of course, I'm currently in a stage whereby I'm too nervous most of the time to play properly and I've been screwing up my solos. But aside from that, yes, it will be good.
Labels: evco, Music.
0 had their say | have yours?