journal archives tagboard affiliates
Wednesday, July 04, 2007
冬 - 卢亮辉作曲 /7:55 pm

In composing this piece, the composer focused on the grandeur and majesty of winter, which is an anticipation of harvest and endless hope. Beneath the winter cold lies the energy of life.

(1) The buoyant melody brings the scene of skiers skiing amidst white snow and howling winds before our eyes.

(2) The icy winds and fluttery snow adds beauty to the landscape. The slow section pays homage to the glory of the northern landscape.

(3) Falling snowflakes descend upon the silver world, which conceals new life. This section hence illustrates the boundless will to live emitted by the hidden life.

(4) In the final section, people immerse themselves in the festivities of winter without restraint. Winter signifies the end of a hard year’s work, and brings with it the impending arrival of the beginning of a new year. Right after winter, follows spring which brings endless hope to all.

I was contemplating whether to feature Winter or Summer first. But Winter has been more familiar over the past weeks, so it gets to go first. I will always remember it as the HCCO SYF2003 piece. Extremely technically demanding, with repeated semiquavers at a fast speed on almost every instrument. I think it's only after you've played it that you can appreciate its true difficulty. It may strike some as an irony that the piece starts off merry, but the lento (well, some may say adagio) section following it is truly musical. The juxtaposition of triplets against dotted crochets forms the background to a touching melody, the kind that really tugs at your hearstrings when its properly done. HCCO cut out the third section for SYF, but it's here where there's a fair bit of development in terms of modulation and themes. And the recapitulation in the final section is just... glorious.

I love it for how busy it is, how full the score is, and how difficult it is. Always a lovely challenge to play something like that that I can't sight read (nonetheless because I'm looking at the stave score instead of the transcribed version). I love it too, for what it reminds me of.

To hear more of Winter, come watch 空谷回音与胡炳旭玩. 29th July, 5pm. Singapore Conference Hall. $15. It's the Cheng San Echoes of the Valley concert, conduced by Mr. Hu Bing Xu.

Labels: ,

0 had their say | have yours?