Tuesday, February 28, 2006
/6:00 pmI'm looking at my macroecons notes for the Xth time and praying that I know my stuff well enough, clear enough for tomorrow's midterm.
Anyway, before the concert on Sat, when was playing in my mind all along was Double Concerto, which while you might think sounds quite nice (defintely symphonic since it was intially written for SO), had extremely hellish YQ parts. That concert went fine, except that me and yongxin both promptly zoned out during the second movement and forgot to play two chords (we barely managed the second when we realised it). Transformation went terribly, I know I made mistakes, I know the pipa made mistakes, but I never like the piece very much until the composer explained it. And it's only then that the intricacies of the motif and the repetition, variation came to light (and why you need a choir and indian drums and a string and wind section). Many thanks to the YQ gals for making it so enjoyable, both onstage and backstage. Much less stess because all of us have given up on getting our qins in tune (mine went out of tune during the concert anyway), and all the crapping backstage and uniform comparsions made the rehearsals and waiting much more bearable.("How come your sleeve is only 3/4 and mine is so long?" "Eh, why her skirt has a bigger strip of 'hua' then ours?" "How come your skirt can wear drop waist while I have to stretch my elastic to the max to fit in?").
And while I lugged my microecons textbook there I knew I would get zero studying done, and that was what happened anyway.
I'm actually looking foward to Friday. There's this sense of guilt that I haven't practiced much for it (still can't play the encore pieces, which are actually harder than concert pieces, and still can't play xi xiang feng), so I'm hoping that my fingers manage to move fast enough. All in all, one year on the liuqin and I'm pretty happy that I can make it through 4 pieces. And of course, she's there, and he's there, and that makes for good concert (or at least, good company during concert). Today, the third movement of hai zhi kept repeating itself in my head - such a simple piece, yet so melodic, lovely and truly touching.
Glynsen is rushing me off for dinner so I shall end here.